Friday, October 1, 2010

The Learned Ladies




Last night, I had the extreme privilege to see Moliere'sThe Learned Ladies at the college in our town. Let me tell you, I enjoyed myself all night long.

This play is, at its very core, a sad play, but on the surface it's very much a comedy, something the audience definitely appreciated. Throughout the entire play, I was laughing my head off.

The acting was extremely well done. It was hard to believe, at times, that we weren't in their house watching these scenes unfold before us. Two of the actors I have seen before in the college's production of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

The actress who played Armande was Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd. She did very well in both, and, I believe, she's only a sophomore!

The other actor I knew played Trissotin in this play and was Toby in Sweeney Todd. He was absolutely hilarious as Trissotin! I mean, he was probably my favorite character from the whole production. He was pompous and only wanted to marry Philamente for the money he would receive. He was very full of himself, even though his poetry was borderline dreadful, and, because of how full of himself he was, he had a hilarious scene in which he got in an argument with his "friend", Vadius.

One of my favorite parts in the whole play was probably when that guy bit his thumb at Trissotin. Mainly because there is a group of us at our school, the ones who were in English I Honors, that have an inside joke. We read Romeo and Juliet, and our English teacher explained how biting your thumb at someone in those times was basically "the same as flipping someone off". Now, whenever we get in an argument we will bite our thumbs at each other. Of course, when he did this, I turned in my seat to glance at one such person. He, alas, did not see me. Ah, well.

All in all it was a VERY enjoyable experience and I'm very glad that I was able to see such a wonderful production of such a wonderful show.

~Keyda

Random Thought: Okay, maybe not so random BUT! If you want to know more about our Drama Club's trip to the theater, check out the latest post in The Ginger Files and then check out some other posts and press that little "Follow" button right next to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment