Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Takes a trip down Memory Lane...

...to know how to get one Your Future street.

I've always been the one who got good grades. The first time one of my grades dropped to a C my mom kind of flipped. She and my dad have always been part of the reason for my grades. They've always had higher expectations for my education than many other students in my grade. The thing is, neither of them are especially smart. Don't get me wrong, it's not like they're stupid or anything. They both went to college. They just didn't have it, you know? Maybe that's why they pushed my education so much. They didn't want me to end up like them, stuck behind an office desk all day, going to a job I never really planned out for myself nor really wanted. With a good education, I could be what I wanted, go to college where I wanted, and actually have control of my life...as long as what I wanted would lead to a good life, the college wasn't a community college (preferably a university), and having control wouldn't mean totally wrecking.

I keep talking like this has all already happened, as if I've already gone through college, moved out, and made something of myself, but none of that's true. I'm just a junior in high school, who happens to be thinking about the future, and, more importantly, potential colleges.

It seems to me, that whenever I start thinking about the future, I have to look back at the past. I mean, you can't go somewhere new without checking to see where you've already been, right? So, as I get ready for some new experiences, I can't help but reminisce about the ones I've already had.

I can still remember in preschool, at nap-time, one specific teacher always came to rub my back, and when she did, she would tell me the story of Cinderella. It happened every day, and every day I would lie there waiting for her to get to me. It was something I looked forward to every day.

I still remember the rocket ship game we played in Kindergarten, lying on out backs and listening to the record.

I still remember in second grade, having a teacher that my brother had had as well, who also happened to live down the street from out house (where he still lives today. I often wave when I drive past him and he's out doing yard work).

I still remember winning the Mother's Day essay contest in third grade and having my mother show up and surprise me.

I remember the first day of fourth grade, when I met my friend, Duck (names have been changed for safety/privacy). I'll tell you right now, we met in a very strange fashion. But I won't go into details right now.

I remember sewing a pillow for my fifth grade teacher that had dogs on it, because I knew how much she liked dogs.

Sixth grade, I remember having a locker for the first time.

In seventh grade, I remember having the Academic Olympics. You were assigned to a certain teacher/country. You would take academic tests and win "medals" for winning them. It was a lot of fun.

In eight grade, I remember being a part of the book club and having treats every time we had a meeting.(Oh, how I miss book club!)

Freshman year, I remember having my first serious (well, for high school) boyfriend. I remember spending Valentine's Day with him (sort of. Long story). I remember watching NCIS for the first time at his house. I remember playing with his cat, Motor, whom I miss terribly. I remember eating pasta at his house...a LOT. I remember playing guitar hero with him. Well, let's just say I remember a lot about him, and us.

Then, Sophomore year, I remember him breaking my heart. (Don't worry, I'm all good now) Basically, that was a sad year for me, at least for a little while.

Now, I'm here in my Junior year. And I am all-too ready to get to college. I know. I know. I still have a year and a half left before college, but I still cannot wait. It's an exciting thing for me, thinking about what college life will be like.

But I think, more than anything else, I'm really just excited for the freedom it will give me.

So, yeah. Hope you enjoyed this little trip through my life. I know it took a lot of thought on my part, so...I REALLY hope it didn't get too annoying.

~Keyda

Random Thought: I feel like this post isn't as good, considering how long I spent on it...oh well...Oh! and my friend got me gum for Christmas! How awesome is that?! (and a mixed CD)

No comments:

Post a Comment