Friday, August 6, 2010

Bird Strike?! WHAT?!


For those who didn't notice, I've been away for this past week. I was on vacation. And what a nice vacation it was.

On Monday, we left about 9 a.m., picked up my friend, and drove to the Moline airport to fly to Atlanta, and eventually end up in Orlando, Florida. Well, everything worked out well; we got Caroline, drove to the airport, dropped off our bags, and eventually got on the plane.
Where we, after a few minutes of waiting, found out that there had been a bird strike. I believe what the captain said was something like: "Folks, this is your captain speaking. I'm just informing you that there has been a bird strike and we may be a few minutes late in taking off while they clean the remnants off of the runway."
...
What?
Is it just me? Am I really the only person who freaked out when they heard this? I mean, I might not have gotten the wording perfect, but I know for a FACT that he used the word "remnants".
Not to mention how he said it, just like it was nothing. Like it happened every day. Whatever.

Anyway, the rest of the flight was normal, as was the next one. We got to the Hard Rock Hotel without a hitch. That night we ate at the Hard Rock Cafe, which was very good.
The next day, Caroline and I got up early to go and get in line for the main Harry Potter ride. We got there in time, before the line got ridiculous. It was well worth it, though, in my opinion.

The ride was amazing, bringing all my fears from the movies and books to life right before my eyes. I flew away from a dragon, dodged a weeping willow, got spat on by Aragog and his spider clan, got my soul sucked out by a dementor and flew across a Quidditch pitch all on one ride. The rest of the day was spent having fun on other rides, including the Revenge of the Mummy ride, which Caroline and I had ridden a total of twenty times the last time we went to Orlando, two years ago (this trip we only did fifteen, so a grand total of thirty-five times).

That night we went to the pool, which was very nice. We both just relaxed and enjoyed it, after a long day's walk.

The next day, we tried to get up early again, but, alas, I was no good at that two days in a row. We got there late, but Dad and I stuck it out to ride the ride (second time for me), while Caroline walked around the small village of Hogsmeade. After the Harry Potter ride, we went and rode the mummy ride a few more times (the final times throughout the whole trip, how sad) and had dinner. After dinner, Caroline really wanted to go on the Hulk roller coaster and wanted me to go along.

Now, readers, for those of you who don't know, I used to be terrified of roller coasters that went upside down. Terrified. There was no way anybody was going to get me to go on one. Except Caroline, it seemed.

She convinced me to ride with her, which I did, and, might I say, it was exhilarating. After the first couple of loops, I started to laugh a little at how absurd my fear had been. I was completely comfortable with it.

The next day, Caroline and I rode on the Dueling Dragons (called the Dragon Challenge for the sake of Harry Potter World), which, in my mind, was just as exhilarating. So exhilarating, in fact, that we went on both the blue (Hungarian Horntail) and red (Chinese Firebolt) roller coasters.

Later that night, Caroline and I stopped by a hat shop and tried on many silly hats. Perhaps I will post some on Facebook soon. Who knows.

For our last ride that night, and trip, we decided to do the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit (I know it's spelled weird, that's how the spell it. Cool, right?) It didn't go upside down (something we didn't realize till we were at the front of the line) but it did go fully on it's side at some points.
Plus it had a full vertical, 90 degree perpendicular from the ground, climb. Which was frightening.

The best part of the ride, however, was the music. In the bar that goes across your seat, there is a little screen where you can choose a song (about 5 genres with 10 songs each to choose from) to play while you are riding the coaster. The music plays in speakers in your headrest, loud enough to hear over the coaster. Caroling and I both chose "Bring me to Life" by Evanescence. It was amazing. She and I both agreed it was the best way to end the night and vacation.

That night, while laying in bed, I realized it would be the last night I was sleeping in those sheets, so I snuggled deeper and enjoyed them while I could. The morning came too quickly and suddenly I was dressed and we were in the lobby waiting for our ride back to the airport.

The first flight was fine, though the second got really delayed because of bad weather. Either way, we still got back in one piece, which is what matters, right?

Anyway, I have more stories from vacation, but I'm sure this post is already long enough and you want me to stop rambling.

~Keyda

Random thought: If anyone was wondering, the picture is of the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit. For some reason I thought it fitting.

3 comments:

  1. "Bird Strike" gave me a mental image of pigeons marching in a circle on the runway holding little picket signs. :) (Have you ever seen the SNL bit where Andy Samberg plays one of the "survivors" of the birds hit by Capt. Sullenberger? Hilarious!!! See if you can find it on Hulu!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah when he first said it I wasn't sure what to think either XD
    I have not seen it, but I will definitely check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.hulu.com/watch/53456/saturday-night-live-update-larry-the-goose

    ReplyDelete